Turned off, 550 rests for the night in Export, PA
Having seen better days, 550 rests (and rusts) for the night in Export, PA
ex Peoria & Pekin Union 405
Borrowed power on the newly formed Wisconsin Central.
Sadly, the NW2 in this picture, originally built in 1948 for Southern Railway, has recently been scrapped. Behind the NW2 sits an FP7 delivered to Milwaukee Road in 1950. There is talk of making... (more)
ex CKSI (Carthage, Knightstown & Shirley RR) 819, nee IHB 8819
Awaiting the next passenger train to switch, GN’s EMD switcher 105 idles at St. Paul, Minn. Union Station, April 6, 1970. No. 105 was now a part of the Burlington Northern family.
1946 built former CN Rail NW-2 #7944 at the Alberta Railway Museum. The locomotive was retired in 1976 and donated to the museum by CN in 1977.
Contracted to Amtrak, Burlington Northern NW2 517 switches a cut of passenger cars, including a BN business car, at Amtrak's Union Station on the American Bicentennial, July 4th, 1976, in downtown... (more)
Between February 1939 and December 1949, 1145 of these 1000hp switchers were produced. Most ran in the US, this is one of 20 exported to Canadian National.
A freshly painted EMD NW2 works at South Yard on a hazy Jan. 29, 1977 afternoon in Salt Lake City.