A Harbor switcher and booster unit are parked under the Halsted Avenue overpass awaiting their next assignment. Tom Golden photo.
A trio of Indiana Harbor Belt switchers bring an empty Inland Steel coal train west on a cold winter day. Tom Golden photo.
A pair of 1940's vintage Indiana Harbor Belt switchers bring a pair of brand new Santa Fe GP60Ms from the EMD plant in Ontario for delivery to their owner at Hodgkins. Tom Golden photo.
The Denver Rock Island Railroad keeps this 66 year old NW2 active, and it is often found working the small rail yard near the old Stapleton Airport.
Southern Pacific Heritage! SP 5472 and SP 1423 line up side-by-side as SP 1423 clears the main storage track for SP 5472 to position itself in. Guillermo Sanchez © 2014
SP 1423 shunts other rolling stock to organize the messy yard in Brightside. Note the UP MOW equipment on the left hand side that was donated to the Niles Canyon Railway Museum in 2008. Guillermo ... (more)
With the dormant and stripped former DM&IR ore dock No. 5 as a backdrop, a large front end loader fills side dump cars at Hallett Dock. The limestone is used in the production of taconite pellets ... (more)
This former DM&IR shop switcher was originally built for the C&O as their 5060 and then sold to the EJ&E as their 455 (upgraded to SW1200 specs). The switcher was transferred from the J to the Mis... (more)
Not much is left of the Turtle Creek Industrial Railroad, as nearly all of its trackage was destroyed in 2009 due to a flash flood. The only trackage that remains is in Export, PA around the Dur... (more)
A lucky catch finds this 1940's era EMD 'outside the gate' at the Kuhlman bulk facility along the Maumee River in Toledo.
Kansas City Southern locomotives gather at Knoche Yard in Kansas City, Missouri, on the bleak wintery day of December 8, 1985. EMD products prevail, with NW2 No. 4217, SD40-2 No. 665 and SD40 No. ... (more)
Bright, white 4221 moves a caboose to its spot at the end of an outbound train.
Ex-GTW 7900 sits at Butler Yard engine facilities. I believe this was an acquisition through Northwestern Steel and Wire at Sterling,IL..
A short Illinois Central Gulf local, powered by SW14 1436 (originally Illinois Central NW2 1013, rebuilt in 1980), is seen in Memphis, Tennessee, on the last day of February in 1983.