There was still some jointed rail on the NEC in 1978 when Metroliner Service utilized the original self-propelled Budd MU cars. Leading the consist is snack bar coach No. 855, PRR Class MPC85E5.
A northbound "faded pumpkin caboose hop," with the 1950-built ex-Wabash No. 451 in the lead.
A nearly six year-old E-60 No. 969 leads a mixed consist of Amfleet and Heritage cars southbound, just north of Perryman. By this time, windshield safety grilles have been installed.
Early AEM-7 action, with an almost new (built 8-80) 905 hustling three cars southbound on No. 3 Track, which was usually reserved for freight in those days.
Two E-44s lead a southbound manifest through Bush Interlocking, on their way to Baltimore or possibly Potomac Yard, Virginia. Lead unit No. 4415 was built by GE for the PRR in July, 1961, and wou... (more)
Pan view of an E-60, sans windshield grilles, streaking southbound as seen from the shoulder of Chelsea Road. The 183-ton 71-foot long giant was built by General Electric in March of 1976.
Recently-rebuilt Metroliners head into the sunset, after slowing to switch onto No. 2 Track. Lead car No. 867 was one of twenty (Nos. 850-869) 60-seat snack-bar coaches built by Budd/GE as PRR Cl... (more)
The now-preserved 964 (at Strasburg, PA) is pulling a southbound Amfleet express under the intricate catenary, where the NEC bottlenecks from 3 to 2 tracks to cross Bush River Inlet.
Recently-rebuilt Metroliners add a splash of color to the bleak Maryland countryside, approaching the now-closed Chelsea Road crossing. Amtrak has moved sensitive equipment to the roof, out of th... (more)
A northbound Conrail mineral train meets a DC-bound AEM-7 on the 1913-built Bush River Bridge.
Northbound AEM-7 No. 939, panned along Chelsea Road between Signal 69.5 and Substation No. 17.
The now-preserved 964 (at Strasburg, PA) is pulling a heavy northbound train of Heritage equipment under the classic PRR position light signals between CP BUSH and Perryman. The 964 was built by ... (more)
"Double-Meats" lead a heavy train of Heritage equipment northbound over the Bush River Inlet on a windy late winter day. The bridge was designed by Joseph Baermann Strauss and features ... (more)
The first E-60 leads a dozen steam-heated Heritage cars by Substation 17, just north of the 69.5 signal. No. 950 was built by GE for Amtrak in December, 1974.
Mid-80s AEM-7 action, with the DC-bound 943 panned from Chelsea Road. Note the black pantographs.