In 1897, the Carolina & North-Western railway acquired a narrow gauge line from the Kings Mountain Railroad from Chester to Boiling Green, South Carolina. The line was then converted to standard gauge in 1902. "At the time, it was hoped that a line could be built from Lenoir to Boone and then to a connection with the "Virginia Creeper", thus allowing coal from the Appalachian coal fields to move south over the line. The expansion never was completed, and the Clinchfield Railroad ended up making the desired penetration of the Blue Ridge to tap into the coal traffic." The Southern railway then took over the line. The line between Chester and York, SC, was abandoned in the 70s. Then in the 80s, the section of track between York and Clover, SC, was abandoned. By the late 80s the whole line was abandoned. The old depot in York can still be seen with semaphores beside it. The "ROW" can easily be seen beside US hwy 321 a majority of the way.