Passing On The Passaic. From the time of its opening by the Erie Railroad controlled New York & Greenwood Lake Railway in 1897 until its closing by New Jersey Transit on September 30, 2002 when the Montclair Connection was placed into service, passenger railroad service crossed the Passaic River between Kearny/Arlington (east/right) and Newark (west/left), New Jersey on this span, WR Draw swing bridge. It replaced Midland Bridge (1872-1874), which had been constructed by predecessor Montclair Railway. On the east bank stood West Arlignton "WR" tower at the West Arlington Station, which controlled WR Draw. Modifications in the 1950s allowed for the construction of Route 21 on the west bank. Train service stopping at the West Arlington Station ended with the abandonment of the New York & Greenwood Lake Railway in 1966, although recently rerouted Boonton Line trains continued to pass through this location. While various proposals have been suggested over the years, there is no present movement toward returning any activity to these rails, as seen on April 8, 2021. The bridge has since been welded shut, and is not considered a hazard to navigation.