“Rock of Ages” Northbound on the former PRR Frederick Secondary, Maryland Midland’s UBST crosses the 707-foot long Little Pipe Creek Trestle at 09:28, with 20 loads of crushed stone from the Woodsboro, MD-based Barrick Quarry. The train is destined for Barrick’s Finksburg Terminal on the former WM East Subdivision at Cedarhurst, MD, some 26 miles distant. The total trip, from quarry to distribution center, is about 31 miles.
A railroad bridge has crossed this valley ever since 1872 (Frederick & Pennsylvania Line Railroad). The current structure, however, appears to date from 1902-03, when it was built by a joint effort of the McClintic-Marshall Company and the Phoenix Bridge Company for PRR subsidiary York, Hanover & Frederick Railroad.