When passenger trains were king: Built by Fellheimer & Wagner for the New York Central in 1929, the Buffalo Central Terminal now sits in derelict condition as another day of abandonment comes to an end. Located just 2 miles outside of downtown Buffalo, this beautiful Art Deco style terminal has certainly seen better days. In its zenith Buffalo Central Terminal served approximately 200 trains a day. Constructed to serve 3200 passengers per hour it seems BCT was always to large and never really met its full potential as the Great Depression and an increase in automobile travel created an initial decline. Over a decade later when World War 2 began the terminal saw a large increase in traffic. Served by railroads such as the New York Central, PRR, TH&B and CN the terminal was also an important stop for name trains like the 20th Century Limited as well an unnamed trains. After the war a long decline began, continuing throughout the 60's and 70's when alternative modes of transport and a series of mergers brought the BCT to its demise. In 1979 passenger service ended at BCT and the new Depew station replaced the Art Deco giant. Many years of neglect left the terminal in very rough condition, however, efforts are being made by the CTRC to restore it to its former glory.