I think this is a rare one... Railway Supply Co used the old WofA shops in Montgomery to perform a variety of railroad- related jobs, the biggest of which was converting worn-out RS-3s to slugs fo... (more)
Back in the days when big GE six-axle power was a bit less common than the present, L&N 1575 leads empties back toward the mines.
A fairly fresh example of one of Paducah's final efforts at redoing early geeps...
ACL once had their own Montgomery shops and yard near Bell Street tower, but abandoned both after moving into L&N's S&NA Yard in the 1960s. At the joint facility a few years later, SCL 1055 has an... (more)
Working out of Maxwell Yard, a local came into downtown Greenwood via the ex-SAL main (that's the ex-SAL station in the background) then switched to what was either a spur to a textile mill, or pe... (more)
It's GM&O attire still in pretty good shape, ICG 519 switches at the south end of the cramped Tuscaloosa yard.
A GP40-2 leads a good mix of power - Kodachrome SD45T-2, B30-7, SD45 and SD40T-2 - on an eastbound at Hooker, Oklahoma.
CSX uses big C-Cs on coal coming into mobile these days, but in the early 1980s, L&N went through a period where it seemed they thought GP38s were the perfect power for every application. In this ... (more)
On track that would be abandoned within months, SR 5069 leads the westbound leg of the Eufaula-Ozark turn. By this late date, five cars makes for a pretty good train.
Just a few hundred yards out of Erwin yard, the trio of SD40-2s leading a southbound freight lean into the superelevation as they charge across the short Asheville Highway overpass.
In 1973 L&N Fs were still fairly common around Atlanta and Birmingham, but they were considered great catches in Montgomery. Here, 614 sits surrounded by ground soaked thoroughly by years of fuel ... (more)
Before the WofA/SR crossing in Opelika was interlocked, trains used to get up-close-and-personal.