This fine, atmospheric image taken in 1934 at King's Cross Station by an unknown photographer, shows the classic lines of Class A1 Pacific 'Dick Turpin' The locomotive is about to depart northward with the LNER's prestige 'The Flying Scotsman' train. On their introduction in 1922, Sir Nigel Gresley's A1 Class Pacifics were the pinnacle of British locomotive engineering. Early comparative exchange trials against the Great Western Railway's 'Castle' class 4-6-0s revealed some initial shortcomings, soon rectified by valve gear modifications making the class an unqualified success. Further improvements came when the class were rebuilt with higher boiler pressure and superheat and reclassified as Class A3. In the late 1950s, the addition of Kylchap double chimney exhaust gave a new lease of life to the A3s, several of the 78-strong class gave over 40 years service.