From the coldness of Newfoundland to the driest of deserts
The FCAB 1415 is one of the 18 engines that have been enjoying a new life in north Chile after Newfoundland abandoned its railroad. It was built in August 1956 as Canadian National #911 by General Motors Diesel Limited in London, Ontario, Canada with a 12 cylinder 567C prime mover and 1067 mm gauge axles. The FCAB purchased it at a bargain price in 1988, then rebuilt and regauged it to 1000 mm in December 1995 with a 645C prime mover set at 835rpm / 1200 hp. Today, at the respectable age of 54, it is in full active service and will probably remain so for many years.
Here, we see a train of loaded sulfuric acid tank cars coming from the sulfuric acid plant in the port of Mejillones on its way to Calama where it will serve the copper mine plants in that area. Sulfuric acid is used for refining copper by electrolysis. The train is going down the east slope of Cumbre pass. It will reach Prat soon.
Coordinates of this picture:
South 23d 28m 52.21s West 70d 14m 7.46s – 794 m / 2605 ft