Posted by draftingmonkey on October 28, 2018 
Nice view across the valley. For those interested the bridge in use was completed in about 1909. The tall bridge piers behind it were for the bridge it replaced, built by the Shenandoah Valley Railroad in around 1880. The new bridge was built as part of a realignment of the line and because of structural issues with the pier footings. The low stone piers beyond were built for a wood covered bridge built in about 1850 and burned down during the civil war. A later iron highway bridge was built on the piers in 1889 and was destroyed in the flood of 1936.
Posted by cavranger on October 31, 2018 
Thanks for the history on the piers.
- Post a Comment -