The Stourbridge Lion
On exhibit at the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore, MD, are the remains of the original 1828 built Foster, Rastric & Company steam locomotive, purchased for use by the Delaware & Hudson Canal Company in 1829. The exhibit, on loan from the Smithsonian Institute in Washington D.C. features the boiler, one cylinder, and two beams of what was once a fully operational 0-4-0 steam locomotive.
John Jervis, of the Delaware & Hudson Canal Company took an interest in new British steam locomotive technology then operating on the Stockton & Darlington Railway. He sent his canal engineer, Horatio Allen, overseas to observe and possibly purchase locomotives for their railway in Hoesdale, PA. This was one of the locomotives purchased. It became the first commercial locomotive to operate on a railroad in the Western Hemisphere, though, sadly, it was never put into regular service as the railway's wooden rails & iron strap track proved a bit too light for this seven ton locomotive, a situation that was later rectified as evident in this photo taken at a later date.