An Acela Express races past shacks which suffice as station stops for SEPTA in the Tacony section of Northeast Philadelphia.
The name "Tacony" was derived from the Indian word "Tawacawonick," meaning "forest," "wilderness," or "uninhabited land."
In 1846, the Philadelphia and Trenton Railroad was granted a charter to operate rail service. The City of Philadelphia denied permission to run trains into the city and Tacony became the terminus of the railroad. Passengers to Philadelphia rode the train to Tacony, then were taken by boat to the Walnut Street wharf from the wharf at Washington Avenue, now known as Disston Street. In 1861, there were three hotels, a few taverns, and other businesses in the vicinity of the train station and the boat pier. The fact that Tacony was the terminus of the railroad and the fact that the area was inhabited by rather wealthy individuals, nothing short of an impressive station would suffice. Things have changed... For a photo of the long gone station, click here.