The Cisalpin was an express train that linked Paris-Gare de Lyon in Paris, France, with Lausanne in Switzerland and Milano Centrale in Milan, Italy. Introduced in 1961, it was operated by the SNCF, the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB-CFF-FFS) and the Italian State Railways (FS). It was a first-class-only Trans Europ Express (TEE). Originally operated by electric multiple unit trainsets of type RAe TEE II, the train became electric locomotive-hauled with the start of the summer 1974 schedule.
In France, it was mostly hauled by the handsome CC 21000, a series of four dual-voltage units (1.5KV DC and 25KV 50Hz AC). The CC 21000 were the dual voltage version of the 6-axle 8000HP 1.5KV DC "CC 6500".
The picture shows the last Paris-Milan Cisalpin, not far from the Swiss border. On this day, railfans applied a farewell sign on the front of the engine. On January 22, TGVs took over the Paris-Lausanne services and passengers going to Milano had to take a connecting train in Lausanne.
The crack passenger trains in Europe before the high speed era (1956-1980's). They were day 1st class only trains, and seat reservation was compulsory, quite a distinctive feature at a time when one could board most trains without a reserved seat or bed.