In the late 1970s the M&E became home to National Locomotive Company, a rebuilder of used ALCOs (possibly for Suriname). The M&E's RS1 and S4 shared their engine house with hulks of Norfolk & Western RS11s and RS36s (via PC). Of the nine units, four were rebuilt (#1800 on the side, an ex Nickel Plate RS36 was the first). The rebuilds did not work out (1800 suffered a major prime mover failure under load test). Within a year, all the hulks and rebuilds, were cut up by Naporano. NALCO was gone and #1800 National Locomotive 1800 became one of Naporano's shop switchers. M&E went on however, rebuilding many an ALCO here themselves over the decades since.