A westbound Amtrak Regional Express, led by AMTK No. 650, charges past the combination station /tower at Holmesburg Junction bound for 30th Street Station in downtown Philadelphia, and all points north.
This combination station /tower is located in the Holmesburg section of northeast Philadelphia. The tower was built by the PRR in 1947 and once contained a 31 lever US&S Model 14 electro-pneumatic switch machine which controlled a full mainline crossover as well as the entrance to the Bustleton Branch which runs behind the tower. That branch last saw passenger service in 1926, but still sees some freight trains on its truncated line. "Holmes" once served as the division post between the Philadelphia Terminal and New York Divisions. Amtrak discontinued the use of "Holmes" as an interlocking tower in 1994.