History at Barstow For the first time in history, an active 4000' class steam locomotive calls on the original, 1911-built Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe Railway passenger station/Harvey House, Casa del Desierto. Leading the way on this warm, fall afternoon is UP 4014, the railroad's newly restored, 4-8-8-4 "Big Boy" steam locomotive that some five years prior briefly paused on the main across from the historic depot structure as it began it journey out of California, bound for Cheyenne, Wyoming where it would be restored to operational condition. With a fire now once again in her belly and a steady 300 pounds of steam pressure built in the boiler to provide a maximum amount of 7,000 hp...the 1941-built product of the American Locomotive Works has changed job duties from hauling mile long trains over Sherman Hill to now being the leading ambassador for the Union Pacific Railroad. On this particular excursion, which to date remains the longest passenger train (23 cars) UP 4014 has pulled since returning to service, the UP has "held up its end of the bargain," per say, by following through on a promise to operate an excursion for the Rail Giants Train Museum - where the 4014 was on display for many years prior to the UP expressing interest in acquiring it back - after retuning the locomotive to active service. With the first day of the West Colton to Yermo excursion nearly complete, UP 4014 is seen here high above the crowds, yard tracks and basically the entire city of Barstow... pulling its heavy train out of the station and back out onto the main prior to shoving the remaining miles to Yermo where it will spend the night. For the BNSF Railway, it's just another day on the railroad as an eastbound manifest, with a crew that must be taken aback by the train they are about to meet, approaching the depot prior to heading out of town.