S.68 (C.68) - Russian, and later Soviet passenger steam locomotive type 2-6-2. Built by Nevsky Plant (Saint Petersburg, Russian Empire) in 1913. Steam locomotives of the “S” series are one of the most advanced and widespread passenger locomotives of the first half of the XXth century. At that time, the steam engine had an incredible top speed: it could accelerate the train to 125 km/h (about 80 miles per hour).
Steam engine on the photo S.68 it the only surviving representative of the series. It was saved thanks to the actions of members of the Moscow Club of Railfans, who with cunning managed to attract the attention of the heads of the Ministry of Railways of the Soviet Union to the steam engine. Railfans through mass media and newspapers managed to convey to USSR party leaders that in March 1918 the steam locomotive of this series with number 245 was delivering the first Soviet government from Petrograd to Moscow. Therefore it needs to be repaired and installed at the Leningrad station. It is worth noting the witty decision to change the serial number of the steam locomotive from 68 to 245. It was thanks to this trick that the “Steam Question” eventually came to the attention of first secretary of the Moscow City Committee of the CPSU Viktor Grishin. As a result of all efforts, the Ministry of Railways issued an order: the steam locomotive should be repaired.
In 1983, the steam locomotive, which received the "Lenin" number S.245, was repaired and sparkled with all its facets.
However, in the end, after a long ordeal, S.68 took his place in the railway museum of St. Petersburg under its real serial number.