2-6-2+2-6-2 "Garratt" NGG 16 # 138 of the Welsh Highland Railway (WHR) with a photo freight train between Snowdon Ranger and Rhyd-Ddu. The 600 mm narrow gauge locomotive was built in 1958 by Beyer-Peacock in Manchester for the South African Railway (SAR) and came to Wales in 1997 in a dark green livery. Since 2010 it has a red paint scheme. Tank car, gondolas and brake van in the rear are all former South African Railway (SAR) and the train has the appearance of working a South African narrow gauge freight. In the background Snowdon mountain, the top in clouds, and spoil piles of the former Glanrafon slate quarries. An open working, it is the largest in the Cwm Gwyrfai district but was only a small-scale opeartion up to the late 1870s. It then developed with the coming of the railway, and produced 1725 tons with 92 men in 1882, possibly double that in the years after. The Glanrafon quarry was closed in about 1915.