The beautiful Montgomery Station. Built in 1898 by the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, this station is now used as office space, a Montgomery Area Visitor Center, and a restaurant. In 1973 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places and in 1976 was designated a National Historic Landmark (a much more restrictive honor). The station, built in Romanesque Revival Style, has a 600 foot shed with 6 tracks and another covered shed for a coach yard along with a Railway Express Agency. The train shed now serves as a parking lot. Throughout the years the station served numerous railroads including the L&N, Atlantic Coast Line, Western Railway of Alabama, Seaboard Air Line, Central of Georgia, Gulf, Mobile and Ohio, and the Southern. Notable trains included L&N's Humming Bird, Azalean, Florida Arrow, Pan-American, and South Wind. At numerous points Southern's Crescent and Piedmont Limited were routed through Montgomery also. At its peak 44 trains stopped daily. In 1979 service to the station ended. The short-lived Gulf Breeze stopped at a pair of silos that once stood on the other side of the track. The Alabama River is in the background.