An empty Norfolk Southern coal train pops out of Allegheny Tunnel at Gallitzin, Pennsylvania, on September 24, 2009. This train was powered by ES44DC 7637 and Dash 9-44CW 9053. The 3,612 foot long Allegheny Tunnel was built by the Pennsylvania Railroad from 1851 to 1854, and was originally named Summit Tunnel. Allegheny Tunnel was enlarged and double-tracked in order to accommodate double-stack intermodal traffic, with the work completed in September 1995. At that time, parallel Gallitzin Tunnel (on the left, which was not enlarged) was taken out of service.