Known as ”Ukko-Pekka”, the Pacific locomotive #1009 of the Hr1 class was the most powerful passenger type of steam engine to be used in Finland. A total of twenty-two were constructed by the Lokomo and Tampella workshops between 1937 and 1957 to meet the demand of heavier and faster expresses that were getting beyond the capacity of the earlier 4-6-0 passenger engines. The two Ukko-Pekka prototypes (#1001 and 1002), ordered by the Finnish State Railways from Lokomo of Tampere, were massive in comparison to older types of engine. Four more (#1000/03/04/05) were added in 1939 and 1940, then a batch of six (#1006-11) in 1948 and 1949, and eight others (#1012-19) in 1955. The final two (#1020-21), built in 1957, were fitted with roller-bearings and represented advanced steam locomotive technology. The twenty-two Pacifics formed the backbone of motive power serving the heavy rail tracks in southern Finland until 1963 when they were gradually replaced by diesels. Two of the Ukko-Pekka Pacifics are presently kept in working condition in Finland, #1021 owned by Finnish State Railways, and the #1009. #1009 is representative of production during shortages in the aftermath of the war, it’s number plates and cab numbers being aluminium instead of brass. In every other way the engine is typical of its class. The engine was restored to working order and passed for mainline running in 1993 when under the ownership of Nigel Sill from London who financed and directed the undertaking. The maiden passenger journey took place on 22 May 1993 – a return working from Pieksämäki to Joensuu. #1009 is presently stabled in Kouvola. Source: Höyryveturimatkat 1009 Oy Internet homepage.