Exhibition hall at the Train World Museum of Bruxelles Schaarbeek, dedicated to several early steamlocomotives of Belgium. From front to back: The 2-2-2 locomotive "Pays de Waes" is the oldest preserved in Belgium. It was designed by Gustave De Ridder. This locomotive was the number 2 of the private company 'Chemin de fer d'Anvers à Gand'. It was built together with 8 identical locomotives between 1844 and 1846. Between 1844 and 1896 they pulled passenger trains on the line Antwerpen-Linkeroever - Gent via Sint-Niklaas and Lokeren. This line was the first private concession in Belgium, awarded to De Ridder in 1842. It was a narrow gauge line (1,145 m instead of the standard 1,435 m), so the distance between the wheels of the locomotives was smaller. When the Belgian State took over this line in 1896 it made a standard gauge of it.
4-4-0 express train locomotive # 18 051 from 1905 for 120 km/h.
2-4-0 "The Elephant" was one of the three locomotives used for the inauguration of the first Brussels-Malines railway line on 5 May 1835 (the other two being "La Flèche" and "Le Stephenson"). These three locomotives were built in 1835 by Tayleur (Great Britain), inspired by a model by R. Stephenson. "The Elephant" towed mainly freight trains. This model (replica) is reproduced at full scale, built about 1935.