"CSO-4 along the Canal"
Connecticut Southern Train CSO-4 heads north along the canal at Windsor Locks, Ct., with a pair of G&W "Corporate" GP38-2's passing the former C.H. Dexters factory, now presently Ahlstom Nonwovens, LLC. Recent brush cutting has opened up a photo location previously unusable. The canal, opened in 1829, was built to provide navigation around a shallow section of the Connecticut River between Enfield and Windsor. The coming of the Hartford and Springfield Railroad, a predecessor of the New Haven greatly reduced the need of water transportation but the canal survives as Connecticut State Park / Trail.