Yard moves. The early evening sun drops below a dark cloud deck as Polson Logging Company Mikado #2 drops her freight consist in the south Garibaldi Yard and heads to the engine shop for water, fuel and general servicing.
The tall stack in the background is a remnant of the old Hammond Lumber Company Saw Mill, dating back to 1927. The stack was built particularly tall by Mr. Hammond to ensure that the air quality for the town residents was not unduly affected by his business. Since its constructions it has been and still is one of the tallest structures on the Oregon coastline. Because it had become such a landmark, the stack was left in place when the original mill was removed, but in recent years, concern developed over the fact that the ocean winds and salt air were causing deterioration, which is apparent, even in this photo. Fortunately, some recent preservation efforts have been undertaken, using fiberglass to prevent further damage to the structure, so for now, Garibaldi's landmark smoke stack continues to tower over the little town on Tillamook Bay.