A working roundhouse. The Weiser Railroad at the Greenfield Village has 3 operable steam locomotives and this is their home. One of the newest structures in the village, this brick and steel structure is a modern replica of a Detroit, Toledo and Milwaukee Railroad (DT&M) roundhouse that was originally built in 1884. This replica structure opened in the year 2000 and is one of only a dozen or so working roundhouses left in North America.
The scene before you depicts the roundhouse interior, where the Weiser Railroad houses its steam engines and does most of its heavy maintenance. Four steam engines reside here, although only two appear in this photo. Against the far wall, one can see the top-side silhouette of the only inoperable locomotive that is housed here. Detroit, Toledo & Ironton #45 is a massive Atlantic type, built in 1902. This locomotive is so large, that only the loco itself fits. The tender is stored separately. The engine visible in front of it is the recently restored Detroit & Lima Northern #7, a Baldwin 4-4-0 type built in 1897. The two other engines that were out and about this day were Calumet & Hecla Mining #3, a Mason Bogie type, which was parked on a turntable lead, and Weiser Railroad #1 "Edison", a 4-4-0 type that was actually hauling the village's shuttle train on this day. The tank lettered for Calumet & Hecla in the foreground is a brand new tank/fuel bunker that the railroad has built for Mason Bogie #3, which will replace her current tank when the engine comes in for major maintenance.