This massive steel structure was built by the Pennsylvania Railroad back in 1895-1896 and was the first bridge of any kind between New Jersey and Pennsylvania. The bridge was original built as a through-truss swing-span to connect the PRR tracks from North Philadelphia to southern New Jersey. However, in the year 1958, the Pennsy converted the bridge into a vertical-lift span to increase the clearance of passing river traffic. When completed in 1960, Delair Bridge was the longest and heaviest double track lift bridge in the world. Today, the bridge carries trains of Norfolk Southern, CSX, and NJ Transit. The bridge is seen here carrying a Philly bound Atlantic City Line train over the Delaware River with one of only two “Speed-Stripe” pained GP40s on NJ Transit.