“Kukushka” - a folk name of the train, which moves between Borjomi and Bakuriani in Georgia.
The construction of this 900 mm narrow gauge line began in 1897 and because of the difficult environmental conditions, lasted for four years, and in January 1902, the first "Kukushka” train ran. Since then the "Kukushka” serves tourists and skiers. Originally, a steam engine of the "Porter" type was imported from England. Open cars were added to the train, which were framed only by handrails. In 1967, the small-steam engine was replaced by an electric engine from Škoda Transportation, Czechoslovakia.
The line is mainly used for passenger service now. Freight traffic was transported until 1991 from an andesite mine in Bakuriani. Because of its location close to Tbilisi, the capital of Georgia, there is a great deal of tourist traffic. Travel time is 2.5 hours from Bakuriani to Borjomi and back. The trains leave two times a day in each direction.