Not the first, but close! This 300-hp diesel was the 18th boxcab "oil-electric" built (in 1926) by Alco/General Electric/Ingersoll Rand. This type of unit is considered to be the first commercially-successful mass-produced diesel electric locomotive built (the first, CNJ 1000, is at the B&O Railroad Museum). No. 90, which was retained by IR as their plant switcher at Phillipsburg, NJ, was the first boxcab to be equipped with roller bearing trucks and storage batteries for electric starting. It was given two construction numbers upon completion, one from Alco (#66754) and one from GE (#10132). It was marketed as an "oil electric" rather than a diesel because all things German were unpopular in the decade following the first world war.