The first General Electric diesel-electric locomotives ordered by the South African Railways (SAR) were the class 31 (GE U12B), imported from the USA and placed in service in 1958. All have been withdrawn, but a few examples survive in industrial use with private operators, such as this one owned by Sheltam. From their depot at Saaiplaas, near Virginia, Sheltam operates the eastern end of the Harmony Gold system. A couple of passersby take a breather and watch as No. 1201 (ex- SAR 31-038) departs from the small depot at the beginning of the afternoon shift. The original high short hood has been replaced with a chopped nose. Photo taken with permission during Tanago's recent South Africa tour.