August 31, 1980 was a triumphant day for Southern Pacific steam fans when 2-6-0 #1744 made it's first test run with Santa Maria Valley 2-8-0 #100 at Charleston, Utah. The 1744 was built by Baldwin for the SP in November 1901. After nearly 55 years of service on the SP it was retired in Sacramento by September 24, 1956. The 1744 would operate one last time on the SP leading a Knights Landing Branch excursion on May 4, 1958. It would be donated by the SP to the Sons of Utah Pioneers on April 18, 1959 and was delivered to a museum at Corinne in and placed on static display until 1980. A new life of active service began when it was sold to New London under a long term progressive sales agreement and moved by truck to Heber City, Utah by April 1980.