LMS 17566 (now running as Caledonian Railway's No 828) and LMS 47406 doublehead the 1440 Kidderminster - Bridgnorth during the Severn Valley Railway's Spring Steam Gala Weekend.
Caledonian Railway steam locomotive No.828 is a member of the 812 Class 0-6-0 locomotives. Designed by John F McIntosh for express goods traffic and passenger traffic to the Clyde coast in the summer (for families going 'doon the watter'), she was delivered from the CR's St Rollox Works, Glasgow, in August 1899. McIntosh had earlier designed the CR's ‘Dunalastair' Class locomotives for express traffic during the 'Race to the North' against the company's rival, the North British Railway, and developed a faster heating boiler. Although 828 never took part in these races, she does possess a Dunalastair style boiler. She is also the sole-surviving McIntosh designed locomotive in the world.
No.828 was withdrawn by BR in 1963 as number 57566 from Ardrossan shed. Rather than be scrapped, she was saved by the Scottish Locomotive Preservation Trust. She was returned to her birthplace, St Rollox Works, and restored into her CR blue livery, commonly known as 'St Rollox Blue', before being presented to the Glasgow Transport Museum.
In the 1980s No.828 was bought by and delivered to the Strathspey Railway Aviemore, her current owners.
Locomotive 828 (LMS 17566, BR 57566) is the sole survivor of the class and is an important example of Scottish industrial heritage