One of the very first production diesel-electric locomotives was this odd-looking contraption. As early as the first years of the 20th century, General Electric apparently had ideas for a new generation of clean, efficient railroad locomotives with internal combustion engines. Unfortunately, it wasn't until the 1920s, when a partnership between ALCo, GE and a company called Ingersoll-Rand finally brought all of the pieces together to make it a viable product. The result was this 60-ton, 300 hp diesel-electric. During the late 1920s, a total of 26 of these units were produced before the partner companies began going their separate ways. Amazingly 6 of them still survive. This nicely-kept example was built in 1926, and was used by one of the manufacturers, Ingersoll-Rand, as its yard goat until the late 1960s. It is now on display to the public at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan.