L&N GP7 no. 490 was one of the first such units built by EMD, with a build date of January 1950. It was the "class" unit of a six-engine order for the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis, which merged into the L&N in 1957. The L&N renumbered this one (NC&StL 700) to 1700, and (in 1965) to 490. The units all came with AAR switcher trucks and (amazingly), friction bearings. It's shown here on an L&N to Pennsy transfer run, still wearing its NC&StL red and gold paint scheme. It was a rare find, even in 1966.