A loaded coal train descends Colorado's front range en-route to Denver where the train will head south to Colorado Springs. Scanned from a Kodachrome
On the ride with DRGW Zephyr 17
On May 25, 1985, the Colorado Railroad Museum hosted a night photo session featuring D&RGW 2-8-0 346 and some of their narrow-gauge freight equipment.
D&RGW 3084 East skateboards through the snow at Plainview, Colo. headed for Denver another 25 miles and 1500-ft. lower in elevation.
West of Rollinsville, Colo., six SD motors of D&RGW usher Train 707, empty coal hoppers, back to mines on Oct. 10, 1986.
With six new EMD SD50’s charging up the mountain with a string of coal empties, D&RGW’s 5511 West has passed Rollinsville, Colo. and has about 7 miles before reaching Moffat Tunnel and diving unde... (more)
Having passed through North America’s 4th longest tunnel (6.2 miles), apparently the brakeman was going back to check an engine problem. Inside Moffat Tunnel D&RGW 5515 East crested the highest e... (more)
Through the last of three tunnels of 25 of them within a 10-mile stretch of track, at the Flatirons rock formations D&RGW’s 3129 East has 25 more miles to reach Denver, 1500-ft. lower in elevation... (more)
In the last light of January 9, 1990, Rio Grande’s 5411 East struggles to crest the Craig Branch summit at Toponas, Colo., headed for Denver. Two SD40-2T tunnel motors lead the way.
A westbound train on the Belt Line passes by the Rocky Mountain News building.
On the way with DRGW 17
A pair of EMD GP40-2s bracket an older GP40 as power on a hot eastbound Rio Grande piggyback train (probably train No. 100) climbing Thompson Hill, Utah, in July 1984.
The Rio Grande Zephyr train No. 18 is a few minutes from its regular station stop at Helper as it passes Castle Gate on Dec. 17, 1978.
Rio Grande's daily Grand Junction to Roper mixed freight departs Provo Yard the afternoon of August 23, 1984. The track at right is Union Pacific's Provo Subdivision.
Rio Grande's lumber drag train 126 departs Helper Yard for Grand Junction the evening of June 25, 1988.