Renumbered GN 3702, this former Frisco switcher leads a short transfer past CN's ore dock in Duluth.
Not a bad place to ride around the steel mill in the summer but not so sure I would want to be on this in January with the wind whipping down Lake Michigan.
As the 1,000-foot M/V Indiana Harbor prepares to dock at its namesake port a SW1200 handles a short cut of hoppers loaded with coke coal. The Indiana Harbor will unload 70,000 tons of Minnesota ir... (more)
Not a great place to suffer a derailment. A light power set running around its ore train on the approach to Dock 6 had the lead truck of 6252 derail at a crossover, fortunately at slow speed. This... (more)
A road set is used to switch this former C&NW yard on a warm and muggy evening. The large yard office harkens back to the day when this yard was far busier under C&NW ownership.
There is lots to see in this view of a former Republic Steel blast furnace now operated by ArcelorMittal. On the left raw materials including iron ore and coke are delivered to the furnace while m... (more)
A CN train moves across the busy Soo Locks at dusk. There is a single unit on the point and another four hopper cars back due to weight restrictions on the bridge. They will be combined once on th... (more)
This car is noted as being the first all aluminum open top hopper built in the United States by Alcoa in 1931. It was the prototype car and is lettered Monon to reflect the heritage of the rail li... (more)
Built by Alco in 1941 for the South Buffalo Railway as their 73 then to Fort Howard Paper Company (now Georgia-Pacific - Green Bay Mill) as their 63-146. The museum acquired the engine in 2006 an... (more)
Once C&NW's primary yard in Green Bay, today CN is the owner through its purchase of Wisconsin Central. What remains of the once impressive North Western roundhouse can be seen in the distance.
A GB&W Alco FA-1 meets the railroad's only C430 in their hometown. The "FA" is a parade float that was used by GB&W through the years.
Passengers off the Cardinal (train 51) head for the station as two regional trains occupy adjacent tracks. The F40 is a cab/baggage car.
A regional Pere Marquette train is on the right while passengers off the Cardinal (train 51) walk towards the station.
The Two Harbors switch job with fairly clean Bessemer 906 shoves empty cars past the large ore stockpile.
A trio of former C&NW GEs (2104, 2112, 2119) ease a train of loaded hoppers down Proctor Hill.