A pair of dusty E-33s are slowing their intermodal train to negotiate the switch from the Enola Branch to the Port Road. No. 4609 was built by GE for the Virginian Railway in January, 1957 as the... (more)
A Port Road coal train shot on Kodak Tri-X Pan film, using a 135 mm telephoto lens. No. 2806 was built by GE in October, 1977.
Spring has come to the Susquehanna River Valley with migratory birds visible on the islands and Conrail starting to rebuild its Enola Branch. The 4806, built by GE in June of 1935, is eastbound a... (more)
A westbound Conrail freight swings under the ex-Pennsylvania Railroad signals at McElhattan, Pa.
A westbound manifest with a pair of dusty Penn Central E-44s is passing the eastbound switch to Conrail's Columbia & Port Deposit Branch. Trains still head down the "Port Road" here, bu... (more)
The end of the Conrail electric years, as a rented crane yanks the oil-filled transformer from its place behind the 4412's cab. No. 4412 was built by GE for the PRR in June, 1961.
The 4445 still has its yellow PRR-style numerals on the cab as it passes under the Columbia-Wrightsville Bridge. You can also see the painted-over PRR lettering and keystones on its flanks. 4445... (more)
Two ancient GG-1s with a bay-window caboose right behind their drawbars haul a manifest up the center freight track. No. 4811 was built by General Electric in July, 1935.
Eastbound manifest Ayer
Two E-44s, still in their Penn Central paint scheme, lead an eastbound mineral train through Port Interlocking. The 4409 was built by GE for the PRR in April, 1961.
Two "Hoovers" (they sounded like giant vacuum cleaners) power a westbound mineral train in the summer of 1978, during the rebuilding of the Enola Branch. Note the old stick rail between... (more)
A big U33B smokes up the catenary, northbound on No. 3 Track by Substation No. 17. The 2948 was built by GE for the Penn Central in December, 1968.
Early Conrail action while waiting on the American Freedom Train, catching a Reading GP30 long-hood forward with an ex-PRR/PC caboose. The 3604 was built by EMD in June of 1962 as Reading Lines N... (more)
Where's the tracks? Two E-44s and two GG-1s power a westbound freight over the weed-covered Columbia Branch. The 4429 was built by GE for the PRR in January, 1962.
A westbound E33-powered freight passes under the "low grade" signal bridge at the west end of Marietta. No. 4606 was built by GE as the Virginian Railway's No. 137 in December of 1956.