The re-erection of Conrail's LEMO Tower at Strasburg. LEMO (or J-Tower) is one of only two surviving Victorian Era two-story wooden PRR signal towers; the other being SHORE Tower in North Philly.... (more)
Occupying adjacent turntable leads at Bethlehem are locomotives of two Conrail predecessor railroads that have found their way to two different successors. Lehigh and Hudson River railway C420 24 ... (more)
Two E44s dressed in Conrail Blue are long-hood forward, westbound on the Enola Branch. Note the welded rail aside No. 1 Track, ready for installation. No. 4419 was built by GE for the PRR in Sep... (more)
After the formation of Conrail, it was not unusual to see former Erie-Lackawanna units at Allentown, or in the Bethlehem engine terminal, but they were almost always GP35’s or SD45/SDP45/SD45-2’s.... (more)
A former Conrail caboose trails NS local freight TS29 out of Sharon Yard at CP 246 as they head out to switch out a couple of customers between here and Milepost 245.
An eastbound coal train led by Conrail power has exited the dual-bored Mann's Tunnel at Ft. Spring, and is now approaching Ft. Spring Tunnel. This bore was built in the late '40s to eliminate a lo... (more)
A pair of dusty E-33s are slowing their intermodal train to negotiate the switch from the Enola Branch to the Port Road. No. 4609 was built by GE for the Virginian Railway in January, 1957 as the... (more)
A Port Road coal train shot on Kodak Tri-X Pan film, using a 135 mm telephoto lens. No. 2806 was built by GE in October, 1977.
Spring has come to the Susquehanna River Valley with migratory birds visible on the islands and Conrail starting to rebuild its Enola Branch. The 4806, built by GE in June of 1935, is eastbound a... (more)
A westbound Conrail freight swings under the ex-Pennsylvania Railroad signals at McElhattan, Pa.
A westbound manifest with a pair of dusty Penn Central E-44s is passing the eastbound switch to Conrail's Columbia & Port Deposit Branch. Trains still head down the "Port Road" here, bu... (more)
The end of the Conrail electric years, as a rented crane yanks the oil-filled transformer from its place behind the 4412's cab. No. 4412 was built by GE for the PRR in June, 1961.
The 4445 still has its yellow PRR-style numerals on the cab as it passes under the Columbia-Wrightsville Bridge. You can also see the painted-over PRR lettering and keystones on its flanks. 4445... (more)
Two ancient GG-1s with a bay-window caboose right behind their drawbars haul a manifest up the center freight track. No. 4811 was built by General Electric in July, 1935.
Eastbound manifest Ayer