ROCK ISLAND F9m's 4153 and 4150 in the red/yellow scheme ready for outbound service. These RI F9m's are former Union Pacific.
The Quad City Rocket heads east for Chicago.
View looking at the east end of the Silvis shops.
There were literally hundreds of locomotives of every make and model at Silvis after the shutdown of the Rock.
Half of all of the SW8s on the Rock Island roster are shown here being made ready to be sold.
The Rock rebuilt these geeps to extend their lives. They lasted longer than the Rock did.
The once proud Rock Island is preparing for the final shut down by sending excess power to Silvis to be inventoried and prepared for sale.
Chopped nosed 1275 and a couple of FB units from the Lafayette coal train power lead a westbound manifest at Atalissa, Iowa in the mid 1970's.
A westbound local just east of Walcott, Iowa.
On display at the Memorial is CRIP 17843, which was converted from a 1915 bowcar into a caboose in 1944 at the Rock's Silvis, Illinois shops. Railroad: Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific (Rock Island)Locomotive: CabooseLocation: Cotter, Arkansas, USALocomotive #: CRIP 17843Train ID: NonePhoto Date: June 15, 2006
Agnes is not in great shape--indeed, she's missing her short hood--but this old Alco Diesel handles switching duties in the LASTA yard. See www.LASTA.org.
Rock Island SD40s for sale. The Rock had 10 SD40s and here are 8 of them.
The only active power on the Illinois Division after the Rock Island shutdown. The 940 is used for making up trains of sold cars and the geeps are used to deliver them.
Gritty Palace is ex-Rock Island office car #98, built by the Pullman company in 1912. It was owned by a member of the METRA board in Chicago and re painted to what you see today. GNW&B stands for ... (more)