A very bad day for a Penn Central U25C- talk about smoking up the catenary! Built by GE in December 1965 for the PRR, the 6511 would survive into the Conrail era, eventually renumbered as 6811.
Two Penn Central GG-1s lead an eastbound manifest down the Susquehanna Valley at the west end of Lake Siding, as seen from the aerie of Chickies Rock.
In 1968, GE raised the horsepower on its models, this time to 3300hp. Like its B-B brother the U33B, the U33C is also characterized by large "wings" on the long hood. Penn Central numb... (more)
Former New York Central 6 Double Bedroom Lounge sleeping car
Two E44’s have arrived at Enola, and are bringing their train into the westbound receiving yard.
The Pennsy's merger with rival New York Central is only a few months old, so GG-1 4852 still wears its native paint as it awaits its next assignment.
Amtrak's westbound North Coast Hiawatha photographed from Hilton's Hill in Brookfield,WI..
Ex-PRR Chicago/Valparaiso commuter train in Amtrak's ex-PRR coach yard.
Valentine's Day 1976, with an A-B-A set of eastbound ex-PRR GP9s. This 5,250 hp combo was probably the final nail in the coffin for PRR steam on its old Middle Division, supplanting the storied M... (more)
Consecutively numbered E8’s thread their way through the engine terminal leads at South Amboy, New Jersey. While noted for being the home of the last operating GG1’s, the non-electrified territory... (more)
These Jets are Grounded
New Haven’s ten 1954 General Electric EP5 rectifier electric locomotives had extremely loud blowers, earning them the moniker “jets”. With their sleek line... (more)
Soon after the formation of Conrail, Mingo Junction, Ohio received a reputation for being the center of the Conrail Alco universe. Here an RS27 stands with two EMD switchers in front of the sandin... (more)
An Unlikely Duo
Driving between industrial road locations in Cleveland, we stumbled across this pair of electric switchers hundreds of miles from the wires that powered them. Altho... (more)
Before the Silverliners and Arrows
Built between 1915 and 1936, the Pennsylvania Railroad’s MP54 MU cars were the backbone of commuter service in PRR’s electrified region until Sil... (more)
A train with a string of open auto rack cars swings thru Horseshoe Curve behind five (not 4) units in 1976.