C&O #1604 was built by Lima Locomotive Works in December of 1941. The railroad worked with Lima on the project in an effort to tackle its tough Allegheny Mountain grades. The locomotives were 2" larger than Union Pacific's "Big Boys" requiring a fire box so large a six-wheeled trailing truck to support it was needed. Of the 60 built between 1941 and 1948, two survive; No. 1604 (above) was leased by the C&O Railroad to the Virginia Museum of Transportation (Wasena Park location) in 1968. The locomotive was placed next to N&W #1218 and remained there until a big flood in 1985. For a photo click here. At this point, it was decide to due a full cosmetic restoration on the locomotive and finally donate her to the B&O RR Museum. The other "Allegheny" is #1601 which resides at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI.