Chesapeake & Ohio 4-6-0 #377
This "Ten Wheeler" was built in 1902 by Burnham, Williams & Co. (absorbed into the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1909) for the Cincinnati, Richmond & Muncie Railroad as their #108. The CR&M later merged into the Chicago, Cincinnati & Louisville Railroad in 1903. By 1910 the CC&L went bankrupt and the engine was subsequently purchased by the C&O of Indiana where it was renumbered as #1108, though returned to #108 again in 1915. In 1922, the engine was leased to the C&O Railway and, in 1925, renumbered as #377. By 1934, the C&O of Indiana had merged into the C&O.
This engine spent much of its career hauling both freight and passenger trains on the Craig Valley Branch between Eagle Rock and New Castle, VA. Retired in 1952, the engine was spared from scrapping when the city of Logan, WV issued a request to the C&O asking for the use of a vintage C&O train which might have resembled the one that arrived in 1904 with the completion of the Logan Branch. After the anniversary, C&O coupled it with ex-Hocking Valley wooden combine #409 for display and as a good will ambassador for the railroad. A photo by Ron Flanary can be found on RP here. In 1969, #377 was leased to the Toledo, Lake Erie & Western Railroad for tourist operation on what was suppose to be a 5 year term. By 1971, however, the engine was relocated to the B&O RR Museum for display. Rumor has it she arrived with a full head of steam. Today, the engine serves as an example of the oldest surviving steam locomotive to have operated on the C&O. Her condition deteriorated while on display out in the parking lot, though she's in great shape and now rests in the Mt Claire shops on display next door to the the roundhouse.