A BNSF empty coal train crosses the Hannibal Bridge into Kansas City from BNSF Murray Yard in North Kansas City, MO. This train was being detoured via the Ex-ATSF to Colorado before returning north to the Wyoming mines. Usually this train would go north out of here via the BNSF St. Joseph Sub., and Ex-BN lines across Nebraska. The St. Joe Sub. is currently flooded out in several spots by the Missouri River.
This is the 2nd Hannibal Bridge. The 1st Hannibal Bridge was named for the railroad the built it in 1867, the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad. The original structure was 200 feet further downstream from this and was a swing span. It was heavily damaged during a 1886 tornado, collapsing the center span, but was later modified and rebuilt.
The current bridge was built in 1917 by the CB&Q as a replacement, and was originally a swing span with a road deck above the tracks, which was removed in 1956 when the Broadway Bridge was constructed.
This bridge also survived the Flood of 1951 when it was struck by several barges torn loose from their mooring, and actually swung the span open.
It came under BN ownernship with the merger in 1970, and passed to the BNSF in 1995.